This lab takes you step-by-step through the process of updating the firmware on the RN4870 module. New firmware can add Bluetooth® Low Energy (BLE) specific functionality for new revisions of the Bluetooth specification as well as provide a way to fix bugs discovered in the current device Bluetooth operation.
Contact your local Microchip Sales office to obtain RN4870 firmware package updates.
- MCP2200 Windows® Drivers & Installer
- ISupdate Programming Utility
- Terminal Emulator
- Windows/MAC/Linux: CoolTerm
The Universal asynchronous receiver/transmitter (UART) RX and TX lines are used to communicate between the Host and the RN4870.
Connect to RN4870
Connect the RN4870 PICtail board to your PC. Ensure the jumpers are set as shown.
- J3 connects the RX, TX, RTS, CTS from the module to the USB. As we can see on the picture below, I put jumpers on the bottom 2 (TX and RX). The top two can added based on your flow control preferences.
- JP8 is connected by default; this allows you to see the LED indication from the module.
- J1 is the Power Source Connector
- For "isupdate.exe" or CoolTerm: Connect the middle jumper labeled ‘USB’
- For Explorer16: Connect the right side jumper labeled ‘PIC’
Place the module in Test Mode by setting SW7 in the ON position, then press SW5 (Reset) to reset the module.
The Module's basic operating mode (Test/Application) is sampled and established on a module reset condition. We recommend pressing the Reset (SW5) push-button whenever SW7 is first changed, or when you want to be sure that SW7 is sampled and applied by the module.
With Jumper JP8 shorted, LED1 will be lit (BLUE) indicating the module is in Test Mode, as shown above.
Launch the ISupdate Programming Utility and select the correct COM port (from substep a). Set the baudrate to 115200 and the memory type to Flash/Embedded. Then click Connect.
If the connection was successful you will see the following message:
Click on the Browse button and navigate to the folder where you extracted the RN4870 Firmware Package earlier. Select all the needed Hex files in the dialog box and click Open.
Click on Update. After a few seconds the update will be complete and you will see a screen like the one below.