The MPLAB® XC Compilers are a family of related compilers that support the full range of PIC® microcontrollers from 8-bit up to 32-bit.
- MPLAB XC8 C compiler for all 8-bit PIC microcontrollers (PIC10, PIC12, PIC16, PIC18)
- MPLAB XC16 C compiler for all 16-bit PIC microcontrollers and Digital Signal Controllers (PIC24, dsPIC30, dsPIC33)
- MPLAB XC32 C compiler for all 32-bit PIC microcontrollers (PIC32)
- MPLAB XC32++ C++ compiler for all 32-bit PIC microcontrollers (PIC32)
The installation processes for all of the compilers are identical on a given computer platform (Windows, Linux, Mac). Just replace the compiler name used here with the one you are installing.
Obtain a compiler. A FREE version is available, and is only limited by the optimization levels that it supports.
Run the installer for your chosen platform.
Once the compiler has finished installing, open MPLAB X IDE.
- From the main menu select Tools ▸ Options (Windows and Linux) or mplab_ide ▸ Preferences (Mac).
- Select the Embedded category.
- Select the Build Tools tab.
It may take a minute before anything is displayed. MPLAB X will automatically scan your system and look in all of the default compiler install paths for any available compilers.
If you are using MPLAB X 1.10 or earlier, you must install a compiler specific plugin (e.g. toolchainXC8) from the Tools ▸ Plugins window before the compiler will be detected in the Options window.
Once MPLAB X finishes with its scan, it will list all the compilers it found and populate all of the paths on the right side of the window.
If the compiler you installed appears in the list, you are done and the compiler is ready to be used in a project. If your new compiler doesn't appear, try one of the following:
- Click on the Scan for Build Tools button.
- Add the compiler manually by clicking on the Add button and pointing the IDE to the compiler's bin directory.
Information contained in this publication regarding device applications and the like is provided only for your convenience and may be superseded by updates. It is your responsibility to ensure that your application meets with your specifications. MICROCHIP MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WRITTEN OR ORAL, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, RELATED TO THE INFORMATION, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ITS CONDITION, QUALITY, PERFORMANCE, MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR PURPOSE. Microchip disclaims all liability arising from this information and its use. Use of Microchip devices in life support and/or safety applications is entirely at the buyer's risk, and the buyer agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Microchip from any and all damages, claims, suits, or expenses resulting from such use. No licenses are conveyed, implicitly or otherwise, under any Microchip intellectual property rights.