To perform code profiling you will need the following:
- MPLAB®X Intergrated Development Environment (IDE) version 2.26 or higher with the Code Profiling plugin (SW100100) installed
- One of the following Microchip C compilers:
- XC8 (v1.20 or higher)
- XC16 (v1.20 or higher)
- XC32 (v1.20 or higher)
- MPLAB® REAL ICE™ in-circuit emulator
- One of the following PIC® Microcontroller (MCU) family members:
- PIC18F with "Debug Data Capture"
- PIC32MX with "Debug Data Capture"
Not all PIC® MCUs can be profiled using the plugin. In order to work with the Code Profiling plugin the MCU must be able to allow the emulator to perform data capture during a debug session.
Verifying Debug Data Capture capability on the PIC® MCU
Go to the Developer Tools Selector guide
Open a browser to www.microchip.com/DTS
Enter the Part Number in the Search Box
Select the "Emulators and Debugger" tab
Look for the Words "Data capture: Enabled" under the REAL ICE™ section
PIC16F1xxx, and PIC32MZ MCUs DO NOT support code profiling. The data capture capability reported for these devices by the Development Tool Selector is not compatible with the code profiling plugin.