The Development Cycle
There are several steps required in the development of PIC® MCU application code when using the MPLAB® X IDE. This tutorial walks you through these steps.
- Create an MPLAB® X project. Add and edit the source code files for you application needs.
- Debug the application using MPLAB® X IDE's software simulator. This will allow you to verify basic functionality of your code while protecting your design's circuitry in case of any unanticipated malfunctions in your code.
- When you are sure your code has a reasonable chance of running on hardware select the programmer/debugger and continue to debug your code on actual PIC microcontroller hardware.
- When all errors have been removed, Program Target to put your application into a PIC microcontroller, remove the programmer/debugger and system test the operation of the application without an attached programmer/debugger.
- Generate the production HEX file for production release.